Posters  | Videos       Games  |  Soccer Mags      Books  |  New! Products 


Other Soccer News...


29 June 2002, 21:43 Seoul - Tokyo


Turkey scored the fastest goal in finals history and held on for a 2-3 victory over Korea in the third place match in Daegu, Korea. Ilhan Mansiz scored a brace for the Europeans after Hakan Sukur had put the co-hosts behind just an amazing 11 seconds after kick-off.

Korea battled bravely but only managed Lee Eul-Yong's superb free-kick and a late goal from Song Chong-Gug. It is ultimately an anticlimactic ending for Korea after so many high points in the tournament, but Turkey continued their surprising run of achievements. It is coach Guus Hiddink's second consecutive loss in the third place match after losing in the corresponding fixture with Holland at France 98.

And right off the bat, Hakan Sukur grabbed his first goal at the finals as Hong Myung-Bo gave the ball away at the edge of the area. A quick touch by the previously out-of-form striker and the ball was in the back of the net (1:0, 1').

The Koreans battled back bravely and after Emre Bolozoglu went close (7’), the co-hosts grabbed a brilliant goal to draw level. A left-footed, curling free kick by Lee Eul-Yong from 25 yards bent wonderfully and nicked Recber Rustu’s post before nestling in the back of the net (1:1, 9’).

The Koreans again went close just minutes later as Lee Chun-Soo forced Rustu into a fine save with a shot from outside the box (12’).

Seemingly from nowhere, the Turks went ahead as a good piece of interplay between Yildiray Basturk, Ilhan Mansiz and Hakan Sukur led to a simple tap in from Mansiz (1:2, 13’).

A bit of creative dancing inside the box by Ahn Jung-Hwan seemed to lull Rustu to sleep, but the ‘keeper managed to dive away the golden boy’s quick snapshot to the top corner (21’).

And again just minutes later the longhaired ‘keeper was off his line like a snap to clean up a good ball in through to Ahn Jung-Hwan (26’).

The spirited Turks extended their lead before the half as a lovely give-and-go between Mansiz and Sukur led to Mansiz’ second goal – a devilish, little chip over Lee Woon-Jae in the Korean net (1:3, 32’).

And they nearly added another as Sukur rose like a phoenix to hammer Emre’s corner kick at the Korean net. Lee managed to keep it out somehow (37’).

The Koreans hit out fast and furious in the second half, looking to chop away at the Turkish lead, and they nearly grabbed one as Song Chong-Gug turned inside and fired a bright shot just over Rustu’s crossbar (52’). And again Lee Eul-Yong tested Rustu from just outside the box after some good footwork (54’).

The Koreans nearly took advantage of some confusion at the Turkish back as Alpay Ozalan collided with Rustu. The ball popped loose, but the Koreans couldn’t take advantage (64’).

And the Turks kept on fighting looking to extend the lead, only marginally concerned with defence. Amid appeals of offside it was Cha Du-Ri who nearly headed the Asians back into the match – but in the end he failed to make contact with the ball (70’).

Korea battled back bravely in the final quarter-hour looking to close the gap on the brash, determined Turks. And they nearly got the goal they were looking for as an Ahn Jung-Hwan’s back heel found Lee Chun-Soo in the box. The shot though let all of Korea down as Rustu dived quickly to clean up the mess (79’).

And Ahn Jung-Hwan almost put the Koreans in it again, but his shot sailed just wide of the Turkish net (83’). Just minutes later Cha Du-Ri nearly sent the nation crazy, again though Rustu was down like a shot to grab hold of the strike (84’).

The Koreans grabbed one late, as a deflected shot from Song Chong-Gug trickled past Rustu (2:3, 93’).


La Cancha Soccer Magazine
2002 Official Licensed Products!